We are thrilled to announce the winners of the second edition of our “International Chef Day” contest.
The primary aim of the contest was to recognise the contribution of our galley teams, that through their skill, passion and hard work, add so much flavour to life at sea. We asked our chefs at sea to show us glimpses of their culinary skills by preparing innovative, presentable, and flavourful dishes through photos and videos.
We received almost 400 entries for the contest, and we thank each one of you for taking out the time from your busy schedules on board to send them across. We shared a few of the photographs on social media too and received an overwhelming response. After the contest closed on 18th October, the entries were reviewed and shortlisted by Mr Deva Senapathy, from Scorpio Marine Services, a Hospitality graduate with 30 years of varied experience in Luxury hotels, Catering Institutes, Cruise Liners, Corporate Administration and Human Resources.
Around the World
(Theme : Make our audience travel around the world through the best of the best food delicacies.
Prepare the main course or a type of street food and send us a photo that would transport us to the country of its origin. It can be any cuisine of your choice.)
Chief Cook Satbir Singh – Berge Weisshorn (Cash prize of 500 USD) for preparing an elaborate Italian feast of nibbles, starters and mains from one of the world’s most popular cuisines.
- 1st Runner up – Chief Cook Jasimuddin Ahammed – AYOE (Cash prize of 300 USD) for transporting us to the beaches of Sri Lanka with his delicious Sri Lankan fish roast.
- 2nd Runner up – Chief Cook Hari Vengadapathy – BW Lord (Cash prize of 300 USD) for tantalising the taste buds of all seafood lovers with his lobster tandoori.
(Theme : With everyone trying to get fit and eat healthy, this theme would be perfect to judge the skills of our chefs on board and challenge them to use their creativity and imagination to prepare a healthy dish without compromising on taste, flavour and presentation).
Chief Cook Israf Ali – Kmarin Resolution (Cash prize of 500 USD) for his indulgent yet calorie-conscious ‘devilled eggs’ alongside simple baked potatoes in the very attractive Hasselback fashion.
- 1st Runner up – Chief Cook Ramesh Castro – Kmarin Respect (Cash prize of 300 USD) for his chicken in mole sauce, showing us how a healthy dish can also be presentable and full of flavour.
- 2nd Runner up – Chief Cook Ansari Mohammad Asif – Nord Skate (Cash prize of 300 USD) for his amazing display of food art with fruits and vegetables available in the kitchen on a daily basis.
Sweet and Sugar
(Theme : Bake or no-bake, you are welcome to prepare any dessert of your choice and share your photos/videos with us. The participant hailed as the master baker should satisfy the judges’ sweet cravings even from a thousand miles away).
General Steward Ajith Venugopal – Kmarin Respect (Cash prize of 500 USD) for his perfectly layered and exquisitely presented ‘rainbow delight’.
- 1st Runner up – Chief Cook Robert Mata Tano – BW Rye (Cash prize of 300 USD) for his classic and most popular dessert amongst our seafarers, the ‘assorted doughnuts’.
- 2nd Runner up – Chief Cook Sahaya Arins Micheal Pitchai – Southern Rouse (Cash prize of 300 USD) for his classic French pastry, Mille-Feuille, whose origin dates back hundreds of years.
Congratulations to the winners, runners-up, and everyone who participated and yet again helped make this contest a grand success! We look forward to your participation in the next edition as well.